New Years Resolution and Recovery Drinks
It’s a New Year and time to turn a new leaf! I know that this is a common attitude after an intense few weeks of family and friend socials involving excessive eating and drinking. Behaviour completely out of the norm for most, right? (or maybe not)
Well, here are a few healthy liquid recipes that make me feel less guilty about my gluttonous overindulgences whether it be due to special occasions or not.
Super Smoothie (Serves 1)
This is a vitamin and nutrient rich smoothie that will help you recover from any food or drink hangover. I use my NutriBullet to blend this to a smooth texture and it never fails. It is jam packed with Vitamins C, K and B6 as well as being high in fibre and antioxidants. It also will help to support your immune system, aid in digestion and detox while the electrolytes keep you hydrated.
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 small ripe banana
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut water
- 1 Tbsp. dried cranberry powder
- 2 Tbsp. pure aloe vera juice
Add all ingredients to the blender and mix until smooth.
Raw Recovery Juice (Serves 1)
I love making this juice when I wake up in the morning felling less than my usual 100%. It helps wake up my inner bright-eyed and bushy-tailed beauty. If there is one kitchen tool I can seriously say I have fallen in love with it is my juicer. It is an older model Green Star but still as tough as the day it was first purchased. The best feature is that it prepares the juice without pasteurization resulting in a juice with the maximum vitamin, nutrient and enzyme content.
- 1 small apple (seeded)
- 2 large kale leaves with stems
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 3 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 large celery stalk
- 1 (1 inch) chunk of freshly peeled ginger root
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Optional: 1 (1 inch) chunk if fresh turmeric root *WARNING: EXPECT THIS TO STAIN YOUR JUICER PERMANENTLY*
Run all ingredients except for the lemon juice through your juicer. Pour final product through a strainer into a tall glass. Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and stir.
Golden Milk (Serves 1)
This incredible anti-inflammatory and immune booting infusion is warming and heals not only the body but soul, too. The ingredients are very beneficial for gut and blood health while being able to help to relieve a cough or cold. Delicious and guilt-free.
*WARNING! FRESH TUMERIC WILL STAIN HANDS AND SURFACES. HANDLE WITH GLOVES AND WASH SURFACES WITH SOAP IMMEDIENTLY FOLLOWING CONTACT*
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (also could use any other milk or unsweetened milk substitute)
- 1 (1 inch) chunk of fresh ginger root (peeled)
- 1 (1 inch) chunk of fresh turmeric root (peeled)
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 2 tsp. raw honey (or regular honey)
- fresh cracked pepper
- Ground Saigon cinnamon or regular cinnamon for garnish
Heat milk on medium in a saucepan until gently boiling.
Remove from heat and grate in the turmeric and ginger.
Add the honey and all spice and whisk for 30 seconds.
Return to the heat and gently boil for another 5 minutes covered.
Turn the heat off and add a pinch of fresh cracked pepper
Blend with an immersion blender for about a minute.
Strain liquid over your mug with a small strainer.
Sprinkle with ground cinnamon to garnish.