About Baked Pumpkin Seeds
Baked pumpkin seeds is an autumn tradition for foodies. With the help of fellow Cobra Chomp writer Ashley, we have refined a quick 8- step baked pumpkin seeds recipe that is easy and bakes the crunchiest pumpkin seeds in our opinion. Simple and using what is already available in your kitchen, we hope you will find our baked pumpkin seeds recipe fun and helpful.
- 1.5 cups of pumpkin seed
- 2 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil (if you prefer melted butter that is fine too)
- 2 teaspoon of seasoning spice of your choice
1. Open the pumpkin from the top by creating a lid. Best to open a hole large enough for you to fit your hand in. It will make scooping out the seeds a much easier process.
2. Using a spoon, scoop out all the seeds and wash them under cold water. Take out the left over pulps. Don’t worry if there are stubborn left over pulps. When they are baked they will only add to the flavour.
3. Spread the seeds evenly on a flat surface and gently pat dry extra water. Allow them to air dry. Anywhere from 1 to 2 hours is fine until the seeds do not stick onto each other. This allows for maximum crispiness when they are roasted.
4. While waiting for pumpkin seeds to air dry, pre-heat oven to 275F.
5. Toss the dried seeds with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons of the seasoning spice of your choice. I just used what was already in my cabinet, which was the fajita seasoning with Mexican chilli, garlic, paprika, onion, sugar, cumin and cayenne pepper.
6. Spread the seasoned pumpkin seeds evenly onto a baking sheet. Bake for the first initial 15 minutes.
7. Take the seeds out, give them a stir, make sure they are spread evenly, and bake for another 15 minutes.
8. Take baked pumpkin seeds out again. If the seeds have turned golden brown, try a seed (make sure it’s cool down first!) to see if you like how crunchy it is. If you want them to be crunchier, bake them for another 15 minutes while stirring the seeds every 5 minutes.
If the baked pumpkin seeds have reached your desired crunchiness, take them out of the oven and stir them slightly to make sure no seeds are sticking. Let them cool down and put them into an air tight container and place in an area without sunlight. Baked pumpkin seeds can last about 2 weeks on the shelf in such condition.
Major benefits of Pumpkin Seeds
- Magnesium: benefit blood pressure and help prevent sudden cardiac arrest, heart attack, and stroke.
- Zinc for Immune Support: immunity, cell growth and division, sleep, mood, your senses of taste and smell, eye and skin health and insulin regulation
- Plant-Based Omega-3 Fats: Raw nuts and seeds, including pumpkin seeds, are one of the best sources of plant-based omega-3s (alpha-linolenic acid or ALA).
- Heart and Liver Health: rich in healthy fats, antioxidants and fibers, may provide benefits for heart and liver health, particularly when mixed with flax seeds.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Pumpkin seed oil has been found to exhibit anti-inflammatory effects.
Reference: Pumpkin Seed Benefits
#cobrachomprecipe #cobrachompbaking #baked pumpkin seeds #simplerecipe #homebaking #homebakegoodness #healthysnack #ashleymorley #kailaso #cobrachomp